[DWJ] author/illustrator royalties

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Dec 23 08:02:00 EST 2007

This discussion reminds me of the huge falling out that L. Frank Baum had
with his illustrator W. W. Denslow over stage rights and royalties for the
play based on "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". I believe Denslow ended up
getting his 50% - enough to buy himself an island in the Bahamas - but at
the price of his relationship with Baum. Both men then tried to continue the
success of the book with projects featuring the same characters, but whereas
Baum continued generating revenue from his Oz books for years to come (no
little thanks to his wife, Maude, who was much better managing money than
he), Denslow was an alcoholic and alienated more and more of his friends
before drinking himself to an early death. Baum never trusted his
illustrators after that, and kept to a minimum his communication with John
R. Neill, who illustrated the Oz books for DECADES after Denslow.

Not that I have a point to make with all this. Just an interesting story, I
find...