[DWJ] DWJ article

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 19:14:09 EST 2007

And then Farah wrote:

> There is a change from Dark Lord of Derholm onward. In this book we
> get a
> nice mother, and a nice sorcereress (even if she does need a cup of
> tea).

That wouldn't be Querida, would it? I don't think she'd like being
called "nice".

> After this book mothers can be overly distracted (as in Conrad's Fate)
> but
> we don't get the kind of dereliction of duty we see in earler books.
> The
> mother in Conrad's Fate strikes me asa kindlier version of Phyllis in
> Time
> of the Ghost, a more adult understanding perhaps of the autonomy of
> one's
> parents.

I've just finished Black Maria (much more enjoyable than I remember,
and yes, more complex; I'm still processing it), and I'm surprised to
find that the mother is one of the most positive, warm mothers in any
of DWJ's books. Not what I remember at all. Her dereliction of duty
only comes from being over-polite and the victim of a terrible spell.
And when she snaps out of it she's magnificent, banging the dreadful
Phyllis Forbes's head off the doorframe and so on.

Catriona's a lovely mother too, I think.

Joe