[DWJ] DWJ article

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Dec 22 14:35:58 EST 2007

>Minnow suggested:
>> I always thought that death is It, end of story, no more suffering,
>> whereas imprisonment is a sort of torture; so I reckoned
>> powerless imprisonment was the right way for the manipulative horrors
>> to end up, especially the 'powerless' bit.

and Philip wrote

>I don't think it's that simple.  If it were, then I think Antony Green's
>logic in BM would surely prescribe death for Aunt Maria.

I think Anthony Green may be feeling rather more vindictive than he feels
inclined to be kind.  I don't think I blame him, either.

But here's another possibility: it's like beheading Charles I.  Nobody
really wanted to, because while he was alive they had the [ex-]King under
control, whereas the moment he was dead the [new] King was in France
somewhere and they no longer had control over him.  So if Aunt M is dead,
there would presumably then be a new Senior Female, whereas if she isn't
she is still It, and there is a breathing space.  Does that make sense?

Minnow