[DWJ] DWJ article

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 02:29:03 EST 2007

On 21/12/2007, Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Minnow wrote:
>
> > Most of DWJ's older women in authority are rather odious, or at best
> > uncaring and unobservant, I suspect.  Art following life -- except
> > that DWJ herself is *nothing* like that.
>
> (I was going to point out that there are un-odious older women in DWJ
> - Polly's Granny and Mrs Smith were the first two to come to mind -
> but none of them are obviously in authority, either.)

There is a change from Dark Lord of Derholm onward. In this book we get a
nice mother, and a nice sorcereress (even if she does need a cup of tea).
After this book mothers can be overly distracted (as in Conrad's Fate) but
we don't get the kind of dereliction of duty we see in earler books. The
mother in Conrad's Fate strikes me asa kindlier version of Phyllis in Time
of the Ghost, a more adult understanding perhaps of the autonomy of one's
parents.

Farah