[DWJ] DWJ article

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 20 19:59:08 EST 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Minnow wrote:

> Most of DWJ's older women in authority are rather odious, or at best
> uncaring and unobservant, I suspect.  Art following life -- except
> that DWJ herself is *nothing* like that.

Perhaps she doesn't qualify as "in authority"? I mean, I know we'd all
go to the ends of the earth for her, but perhaps that doesn't quite
count...

(I was going to point out that there are un-odious older women in DWJ
- Polly's Granny and Mrs Smith were the first two to come to mind -
but none of them are obviously in authority, either.)

(It occurs to me, reading back over this, that all three are sort of
mentor figures, which is a *kind* of authority, perhaps, but
apparently not the kind that turns one odious.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."