[DWJ] World Fantasy Award Acceptance Speech by DWJ

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 20 16:58:25 EST 2007

deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
> /small voice
> I stand by the original remark, dammit.
> /end small voice

In my opinion, that was a neat way of describing one of DWJ's
*strengths* as a writer.  For her to get what appears to be a cheap
laugh by ridiculing an academic essay praising her writing in such a way
was extremely baffling to me the first time she did it.  That's she's
keeping it up five years on is beyond baffling.

But then I can never stand the kind of humour which appears designed to
make oneself look smarter by humiliating someone else.  In her fiction,
DWJ never seems to approve that kind of behaviour.

Hallie