[DWJ] World Fantasy Award Acceptance Speech by DWJ

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Dec 20 15:57:48 EST 2007

>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Charles Butler wrote:
>
>> But I can't help feeling a little for the unmentioned Stella Paskins
>> (who's surely helped DWJ's career as much as anyone) and for Deborah, whose
>> harmless 'rooted in fluidity' remark seems destined to haunt her for ever!
>
>Is "learned" an insult or a compliment in that sentence? I can't
>tell.
>
>/small voice
>I stand by the original remark, dammit.
>/end small voice
>
>-deborah the learned

For what it's worth, the idea of a hydroponic lettuce, which was her
response after a moment in which her flabber escaped and wandered about
under the dining-table being gasted, made DWJ laugh and laugh, not to
mention repeating it to anyone within range including one respectable
Professor of English and inviting them to observe her leaves.

She has now got a green gilet-like-thing on the strength of it, too.

I would have thought that watercress is rooted in fluidity, myself...

Minnow