[DWJ] World Fantasy Award Acceptance Speech by DWJ

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Dec 20 15:57:50 EST 2007

>On 19 Dec 2007, at 23:28, Paul Andinach wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
>>
>>> Is "learned" an insult or a compliment in that sentence?
>>> I can't tell.
>>
>> I read the sentence as bemused but not actually unhappy, fwiw.

Joe suggested:

>I thought it was neutral in that sentence, but definitely somewhat
>indignant in the one before. That word "frankly" says it all. (Which
>DWJ character has the catchphrase "to be brutally frank"? Whatisname in
>Conrad's Fate, isn't it?)

Not exactly indignant, more disgruntled, seemed to me.  You know: 'Oy, over
here!  Me!  I *wrote* it, and that wasn't what I meant!'  Like Isaac Asimov
saying who he was and that wasn't what he meant in a book, and the lecturer
asking 'what do you think you know about it?'  That's what I think DWJ
meant by saying it feels as if the articles are about some other Jones: she
doesn't always recognise it as being about her own work at all.  Then one
has to shrug and go 'Oh well, if you want to believe that you go ahead'
because there really isn't any point in arguing.

BTW, Deborah, she didn't say that the person writing the articles was
learned, she said the articles were, and I bet that carries a completely
different set of nuances for her!  At least she didn't say 'clever'.  :-)
That would be like Rosemary Sutcliff talking about Charles Keeping's
illustrations for her books, and saying 'he's so clever, but so ugly'.
Ouch!

Minnow