[DWJ] DWJ article

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:39:39 EST 2007

This is a really interesting article. A case of damning with faint
praise where the Miyazaki movie is concerned, I thought. Is anyone else
surprised to learn that "Black Maria is a far more layered and complex
story than Howl’s Moving Castle"? I haven't read it for yonks, but I'm
going to have another look at it now. (It's never come that high on the
re-read list for some reason. Is it her nastiest book, or is that place
reserved for TOTG?)

I like what she says about Miyazaki having his cake and eating it where
war is concerned. I sat through his Castle in the Sky recently, and
found all the beautifully-rendered mayhem and destruction a bit too
much. DWJ's remarks remind me of the way Kitt (or is it Blade?) feels
about his first battle - that's the place that she manages to have her
cake and eat it, but she nails the ambivalence much more effectively.
Perhaps because you can show the inner life of a character properly in
books...

I hope no-one ever decides to film Dark Lord.

Joe