[DWJ] Northern Lights movie- very slight spoilers

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Dec 13 12:13:04 EST 2007

>Kyla wrote:
>> You know, although I went through a brief period of feeling stupid
>>because I didn't think that actual God had been killed in the books (I
>>thought it
>> was whoever had usurped God's place), I'm back to my original opinion: I
>> don't care what Pullman said he was doing, I think the trilogy isn't
>> anti-God or anti-religion, it's anti-religious establishment. Which, yes,
>> some people may take as being anti-religion, but, well, I didn't.

and Bettina responded

>Very interesting, Kyla: I thought the same at first and I tend to the same
>reading. Maybe it's a matter of preconception...

This is making me wonder whether Pullman knows *The Revolt of the Angels*,
which I haven't read for decades but which I seem to recall ended up with
Satan having effectively to become God once God had been deposed, because
the position was both vacant and essential.  :-)

Minnow