[DWJ] Northern Lights movie- very slight spoilers

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Dec 13 11:15:29 EST 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> Robyn said:
>> I do NOT get how someone who is so influenced by Blake and Milton is
>> described as being not religious, or not aware, or whatever it is.
>
> And Minnow wrote:
>> It feels more like
>> betrayed-by-the-loved-object than anything else,  anyway.
>
> That is exactly how I feel.
>
> You know how Blake said, "Milton was of the Devil's camp without
> knowing it"? In my house, we say, "Pullman is of God's camp
> without knowing it".

<snip>
> There's a lot of ways in which he is very supportive of the
> status quo. Sure, he kills God

You know, although I went through a brief period of feeling stupid because
I didn't think that actual God had been killed in the books (I thought it
was whoever had usurped God's place), I'm back to my original opinion: I
don't care what Pullman said he was doing, I think the trilogy isn't
anti-God or anti-religion, it's anti-religious establishment. Which, yes,
some people may take as being anti-religion, but, well, I didn't.