[DWJ] Northern Lights movie- very slight spoilers

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 09:25:51 EST 2007

On 13/12/2007, deborah.dwj at suberic.net <deborah.dwj at suberic.net> wrote:

> -- but
> Pullman so clearly thinks his books are subversive that it kind
> of breaks my heart how much they aren't.)
>
> There's a lot of ways in which he is very supportive of the
> status quo.

Such as the really unpleasant classism and homophobia?

What I want to know is why, in a world where your sexuality really is
balancing on your sleeve,* anyone could be so closetted about it as to make
other people feel uncomfortable and avoid you (which was the nearest Pullman
got to explaining what he was on about).

Farah
*and chittering away to that other cute daemon in the corner. And quite
possibly shifting sex if you're bi.