[DWJ] Northern Lights movie- very slight spoilers

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Dec 12 19:52:45 EST 2007

Ania wrote:

>I've just been to see The Golden Compass and I must say I enjoyed it on
>the whole, despite some pretty drastic alterations and 'adjustments' to
>the plot.

So you can tell me, in an informed way and to a disinterested party: Does
it denigrate the Roman Catholic Church, or whatever it is that people have
been trying to raise a fuss about?  Or is it merely  that it is opposed to
an organised religion, and some part of the RCC has decided to assume they
are the ones being got at?  I admit it's  a long time since I read the
first book (like, when it came out whenever that was) but my feeling was
that the opposition in it was more to  religiosity than to religion: he got
more heated later on.

I dunno if that's against list policy though: Deborah?  I'm not having nor
asking for any sort of discussion about religion here, I just wondered
whether such discussion were justified by the film -- not one here, but one
elsewhere, as it were.

(I'd expect it to be the CSLewis religiosityites that got upset, judging by
Pullman's comments on CSL, really.)

Minnow