[DWJ] Listers to the Rescue... Again

Tue Aug 21 15:51:02 EDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:43:58 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:43:24 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder Sean Stewart's Mockingbird would work? I can't remember
>>> how risque it gets, though.
>>
>> Are you freakin' KIDDING me?  There's that whole bit in the middle about
>> lesbian porn and bondage and how much guys like those magazines.  I think I
>> was scarred for life.  :)
>
>Er.  I don't remember that bit.  *blush*

Heh.  It stood out for me because it's both part of the story and not part
of the story--it's illustrative of the main character's younger sister and
how she sees the world, but it's not part of the main plot.  And also
because it was INCREDIBLY GRAPHIC.  Isn't it weird the things you remember
and the things you forget?  I keep meaning to recommend _The Eyre Affair_ to
people, and then thinking, "They are going to hear Jack Schitt's name aloud
in their heads as they read, and it will be extremely offensive." So...yeah.

>> Pity, because the female character is so well drawn and the story is just
>> lovely.
>
>Yeah, I remember *that* bit.

Notice that we're both online at the same time right now?

Melissa Proffitt
(starving to death while digging through emails)