[DWJ] Re: Re: Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 14:22:40 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/20/2007 9:01:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dwj-request at suberic.net writes:

Is rape  better or worse when it is mental as well as physical, so that
the victim  doesn't see it as rape?  Does her perception of incest as
normal  render the situation better?

Seems to me that situation makes it *different* from rape. *Not*  any better,
necessarily, but a different crime. To me rape is about force  and violence,
not about manipulation, so I wouldn't think of the situation  you describe as
mental rape, either. It's like the difference  between having your house
robbed and things smashed all over the place, and  having a relative who steadily
mooches off you for years. The effect on your  finances might ultimately be the
same to the penny, and so might the extent of  damage to your psyche, but the
*character* of that damage would be quite  different.

Helen Schinske