[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 24, Issue 4

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Aug 20 04:56:37 EDT 2007

Devra quoted I can't remember whom:

> Therefore, I am going
> to write a book in which witchcraft is a metaphor for homosexuality,
> in order to
> edify and inform my loyal readers of the problem."

and asked:

> Is that what it's about?? I must be a very dim reader....

This has been discussed before, and one or two people have put this as a
metaphorical interpretation.

I haven't joined in the discussions because my view didn't add very much
at the time, but since you ask (and I get the opportunity to be first):

1.  The book can be interpreted that way on a strictly metaphorical
level, and it is a valid interpretation.

2.  If you bring it to this level of metaphor, however, it could equally
be applied to any other situation in which discrimination becomes a
phobia: Racism, xenophobia, misogyny, anti-intellectualism, and so on;
and such an interpretation would be just as valid.

I think people have picked up on the homophobia metaphor because that is
a hot issue today.  I'm not convinced it was so hot an issue a quarter
of a century ago when the book was written.  And at a not-too-different
point in history, all the people saying today that it's about homophobia
would have been saying it was about anti-semitism.

I therefore prefer to see it as about (in so far as it is "about" these
issues at all) discrimination generally, and not about any particular
form that happens to be topical.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432