[DWJ] Re: Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Aug 17 16:00:27 EDT 2007

deborah was discussing a lot of books most of which I haven't read,
but reminded me:

If one of the basic premises of a book is that a father has raised his
daughter so that she will accept him as her mate and bear his children,
in order to further a breeding-programme of his, does the fact that she
has been trained not to perceive this as rape make it better or worse?

I've argued this one at one time and another (and I'm not going to say
who the book is by, because I want to look at the question without any
'oh but that's a wonderful/awful author' considerations) and I would be
interested on the take on the matter that I might get from an
articulate and educated bunch such as we have here.

Is rape better or worse when it is mental as well as physical, so that
the victim doesn't see it as rape?  Does her perception of incest as
normal render the situation better?

Minnow