[DWJ] Listers to the Rescue... Again

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Aug 16 17:48:23 EDT 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Aimee Smith wrote:

> What books are *particularly* wonderful to read aloud to adults?
>
> So far I've thought of:
>
> Classics, like 'To Kill a Mockingbird' or 'Pride and Prejudice' or
> anything Victorian.

I haven't read P&P out loud, but I have read Emma and Persuasion, and much
as I love the latter, it is not a terribly good read-out-loud
book--something about the construction of the sentences, I think. It just
felt awkward.

I do agree that children's books might work quite well, as they're much
more often read out loud; and I agree about just asking people what they'd
like to hear.