[DWJ] Listers to the Rescue... Again

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 16 11:47:32 EDT 2007

> What books are *particularly* wonderful to read aloud to adults?

It may sound obvious, but _The Hobbit_.

Also, anything else that might remind people of their youth or young
adulthood is often enjoyable for the older homebound population,
according to studies. In  America, that includes things like Little
House on the Prairie books. I don't know what the British/Aussie
equivalents are.

Patricia McKillip's earlier stuff comes out quite well when read aloud.
Also, Terry Pratchett, especially Wee Free Men.

You might consider asking the people being read aloud to what kind of
books they prefer and go from there. Telling people what you are likely
to read to yourself may give them ideas-- adults are unlikely to ask to
be read children's books of their youth, but if you say you read a lot
of children's books, they may ask for those under the guise of humoring
you. (I'd suggest, for instance, the Borrowers.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net