[DWJ] Listers to the Rescue... Again

Juliette Curtis jcurtis at harvestroad.com
Thu Aug 16 04:45:19 EDT 2007

I wouldn't discount HP. The extraordinary thing about those books is that
they *do* appeal to the most unlikely people. I know some people in their
70s who are very keen on HP.

I suggest asking the facility about other books that have been Read Aloud
and were popular. It would give some ideas about where to start looking.

Do *not* read Three Men in a Boat. I read it (to myself) recently and was
utterly hysterical with laughter over it. I adore TmiaB (NTMTD) but it would
be impossible for me to read it aloud.

A few suggestions, trying to think of less obvious choices...
Connie Willis
Hornblower
Alice in Wonderland
Asimov, such as the I Robot books
The Egg and I, and its sequels by Betty MacDonald
The Ghost and MRs Muir (I love it)
Dickens (an obvious choice but great to read aloud)

(It's nice of you to offer. Well done.)

Juliette