[DWJ] Newly discovered books

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 03:42:32 EDT 2007

Actually, I think Dogsbody is in part about anti-Irish prejudice, for
a rather straightforward reason.

Kathleen's father is *guilty*. At the time Jones published this book,
to have Kathleen so clearly love her terrorist father might--had
people chosen to notice--got the book into real hot water.

There are several moments in the book when anti-Irish prejudice is
tackled with a directness that is out of character for Jones.

Farah

On 13/08/07, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
>  > "Witch Week" and "Dogsbody" are obviously not about diversity and
> >anti-Irishism (not that I think you were implying that they *are*,
> >Charlie), any more than "The Time of the Ghost" is about child abuse.
>
> I think one of the reasons I don't like Witch Week is that it is
> painfully close to a SF/YA issue book. I mean, if someone had a terrible
> secret in the SF of the late 70s, it generally either turned out to
> be some sort of superpower and there was a closet organization to
> protect those who had it, or it turned out that everyone had it,
> depending on how empathic the author was, only if everyone had it the SF
> author would probably only manage to get a short story out of it in the
> 1960s and 70s.
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> "I thought you might need rescuing . . . We have a bunch of professors
> wandering around who need students." -- Dan Guernsey

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research
would it?" (Albert Einstein)