[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

Thu Aug 9 12:46:38 EDT 2007

On Thu,  9 Aug 2007 11:56:30 +0200 (CEST), Rachel Ganz wrote:

>>It's interesting to read your take on this.  All my life I interpreted it
>> the opposite--that I should not make demands on others I wasn't willing to
>> expect of myself.  That it wasn't fair to require someone else to live up to
>> standards I couldn't keep myself.  I suppose that's why it's such a
>> double-edged statement; how you look at it can make a huge difference in how
>> you live.
>

>But what sort of demands are you making? Shoe a horse, code a compiler, manage a sewage farm, run a mile?
>
>I think it can be a dangerously individualistic approach - to believe that one is self-sufficient and can do anything.

That's not what I meant.  You're talking about having the *capacity* to do
things rather than the *responsibility* to do things.  I don't see the
original statement as having anything to do with the varied abilities every
human being has--and I do not believe in self-sufficiency, which seems to me
both impossible and unappealing.  Rather, I see it as a warning against a
kind of moral hypocrisy:  if you have standards of behavior or ethics you
expect of others, you'd better be living up to them yourself.  Or else it's
time to reevaluate those standards.

Melissa Proffitt