[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

Rachel Ganz rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 05:56:30 EDT 2007

>It's interesting to read your take on this.  All my life I interpreted it
> the opposite--that I should not make demands on others I wasn't willing to
> expect of myself.  That it wasn't fair to require someone else to live up to
> standards I couldn't keep myself.  I suppose that's why it's such a
> double-edged statement; how you look at it can make a huge difference in how
> you live.

But what sort of demands are you making? Shoe a horse, code a compiler, manage a sewage farm, run a mile?

I think it can be a dangerously individualistic approach - to believe that one is self-sufficient and can do anything.

On the other hand, if it's in those human intangibles, such as courtesy, tolerance, and compassion, that is a slightly different matter. Even there, I think compassion is more important than anything else.

Sometimes it's worth admitting that you aren't that good at things and other people can do better?

Rachel
Brevity, clarity and cups of tea