[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

Juliette Curtis jcurtis at harvestroad.com
Wed Aug 8 22:19:39 EDT 2007

>> I should not make demands on others I wasn't willing to
>> expect of myself.  That it wasn't fair to require someone else to live up
>> to standards I couldn't keep myself.

I agree with this wholeheartedly but I took it further than that. I set much
higher standards for myself than for everybody else. I allow other people to
have foibles and failings but I don't allow myself to.

It's strange that high standards are just as destructive as low standards,
though in different ways.

OBDWJ: I suspect Gabriel de Witt forced himself to live up to his own
unrealistic standards. When Christopher sees him aging in LOCC, GdW seems
bleached and despairing, then pulls himself together and became older and
grimmer. He didn't want to be Chrestomanci but did his best with it out of a
sense of duty and responsibility, although it obviously cost him a lot in
personal terms. He also applied very high standards to others around him eg
his impatience with Christopher and Milly in CF and his (failed) insistence
that they follow the course he had set out for them.

Juliette