[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

Wed Aug 8 21:45:04 EDT 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:04:31 +0800, Juliette Curtis wrote:

>>> "demand of yourself more than you demand of anyone else"

>>it's very double-edged advice.

>I lived according to the above principle for many years and it was one of
>the major factors in my clinical depression. I have lightened up a lot now
>and am healthier as a result.
>
>It's a very very hard way to live. It took 30 years for me to learn that I
>should be as compassionate and forgiving to myself as I am to other people.
>If I am not, I will destroy myself.
>
>It's OK to set high standards for oneself but they should not be
>unrealistically high.

It's interesting to read your take on this.  All my life I interpreted it
the opposite--that I should not make demands on others I wasn't willing to
expect of myself.  That it wasn't fair to require someone else to live up to
standards I couldn't keep myself.  I suppose that's why it's such a
double-edged statement; how you look at it can make a huge difference in how
you live.

Melissa Proffitt