[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 17:08:09 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:
> I am suffering from an unresolved tension.  (waaaah!  meep!)
>
> Deborah's sig, not for the first time, made me wonder:
>

>> Always remember to demand more of yourself than anyone else.
>>

> Does this mean "demand of yourself more than anyone else demands of you" or
> "demand of yourself more than you demand of anyone else"?
>
> Minnow

Hmm. I presume it's the latter. And it's very double-edged advice.

At first sight it looks very laudable - never expect more from other
people than you're willing to put yourself through. But in fact, many
(most?) of us unconsciously live by it habitually, to our own great
disservice. Most of us are much less willing to forgive ourselves our
transgressions (real or imagined) than we are to forgive others.

Colin