[DWJ] fifth grade DEAR shelf

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 8 13:29:54 EDT 2007

Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>You've probably got most of these already, but these are books I loved when
>I just started reading, sorry if they're too obvious:
>"Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH"
>"Halfway Across the Universe and Turn Left"
>Books by Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary...
>The reading level for the Narnia books is not as high as one would expect
>Nowadays I would highly recommend Jacqueline Wilson's books, though I take
>it they didn't catch on in the States
>the "Worst Witch" series by Jill Murphy (like very easy beginner Harry
>Potter)
>Tove Janson's Moomin books
>The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Books

I tried Finn Family Moomintroll once, and it was very unpopular, but I
think I might give it another go. I tend to steer away from Cleary and
Blume because one of the things I get my students to do is present on a
book of their choice, and they always know those ones (and Captain
Underpants). Actually, some of the things on my list now have come from
presentations in the past. It's a really good way to get more reading
material into the class.

robyn