[DWJ] That time of year again

Tue Aug 7 20:49:50 EDT 2007

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:59:56 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>I bought _I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato_ years ago for my picky oldest
>>child, but it didn't help.  She knew there were tomatoes on her plate no
>>matter what I called them.  :)  Love Lauren Child's books though...just
>>re-read _Beware of the Storybook Wolves_ yesterday, taking a break from
>>figuring out how the school computer managed to advance everyone TWO grades
>>instead of one over the summer.
>>
>Well, I was thinking of it as a great book for a discussion on food and
>eating - everyone knows Green Eggs and Ham, so I wanted something a bit
>different. Interesting that it doesn't work. Doesn't work on my kid, either.

We think it was because our picky eater had a hyperdeveloped sense of taste
and was rejecting food because it was just hard to eat, not because it
looked icky.  But I love the book, myself, and that sounds like a great
choice for the food discussion.

>> I also *think* I like _Lilly's Purple
>>Plastic Purse_ better than _Chrysanthemum_, but how do you even begin to
>>choose favorites there?
>>

>It's hard, but Chrysanthemum works really well for discussions about
>identity, which is why I choose it last semester. Next time I want a
>change, I will go with Lilly as a way to talk about school, I think.

I think I like Kevin Henkes's picture books better than any of my kids ever
did.  :)  I'm about to go through all the picture books and get rid of the
stupid ones, so I've been thinking about why I keep the books I do....

Melissa Proffitt