[DWJ] That time of year again

Tue Aug 7 18:34:02 EDT 2007

Chapter books for 4- to 8-year-olds?  I have trouble thinking of anything
that doesn't belong to a series, like the Jigsaw Jones mysteries or Horrible
Harry.  I would recommend the Myth-o-mania books by Kate McMullan, but those
are unfortunately out of print.  There is one book I love called _Hot Fudge
Hero_ by Pat Brisson; I don't know about its availability, but I like how
it's less a chapter book than a series of closely-linked stories.

I bought _I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato_ years ago for my picky oldest
child, but it didn't help.  She knew there were tomatoes on her plate no
matter what I called them.  :)  Love Lauren Child's books though...just
re-read _Beware of the Storybook Wolves_ yesterday, taking a break from
figuring out how the school computer managed to advance everyone TWO grades
instead of one over the summer.  I also *think* I like _Lilly's Purple
Plastic Purse_ better than _Chrysanthemum_, but how do you even begin to
choose favorites there?

Have fun with your class.  I don't know how you ever keep the reading list
down to less than 50.

Melissa Proffitt