[DWJ] Uglies

Aimee Smith aimees001 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 04:25:09 EDT 2007

Would Aimee be happy to hear *Uglies* so described, for example?

- Charlie

Yes, I'd be happy with it to be an issues book and still thought well
of. I liked that it played with the idea, explored the ramifications
of this issue for the characters and the society. I don't know
whether I'd call it didactic, though the description probably fits.
With the issue of self image, I'd say the message is a positive one,
and not one many people would argue with. (Not that popular belief =
truth, but the truth in this case is fairly self evident: self esteem
not reliant on majority's idea of physical beauty = good, acceptance
in society based on physical beauty = bad).

Aimee.