[DWJ] Newly discovered books

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 17:09:05 EDT 2007

Charles Butler wrote:

>Is "issue book" always and necessarily a pejorative term, I wonder? Does it
always carry an implication of two-dimensionality and reductiveness? Can
anybody recommend a book which they would describe as an issue book AND a
great book?

Actually, yes, I think there are books that are excellent and could also be considered issue books.  I guess it all depends on how skillful the author is.  The example that sprang to mind is "Four Ways to Forgiveness," an interlocked set of four stories by Ursula K. Le Guin.  They explore issues of slavery, reconciliation, and forgiveness.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she set out to write about those issues as "issues", but she does it with such subtlety and skill that it doesn't matter.

Susanna

~~~~~
Let the heart complete the pattern.