[DWJ] Newly discovered books

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Aug 6 10:48:51 EDT 2007

I can think of several good issue books. Jacqueline Wilson's books are
almost exclusively issue books, and I think many of them are good
nonetheless. Ditto Judy Blume.

The issue in "The Ogre Downstairs" would be getting along with a new
stepfather. I'm sure I've seen it described as such; very unnappetizing.
The issue in "Wilkin's Tooth" is indeed a more general issue of stereotypes
and tolerance. It starts out with the black kids, the crippled girl, etc. (I
have got to reread the book now!) and takes a while before they're all
acknowledging each other as actual people.