[DWJ] Newly discovered books

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Sun Aug 5 22:35:36 EDT 2007

I have to say I wasn't crazy about MBT. It's good, there's nothing actually
WRONG with it. I just feel like there is a bit of an oversupply of Slightly
Arch Victorian Fantasy for Middle Years. Every day we get a new one in
here. I have a theory that says: Most publishers don't like fantasy, so
they don't read it. But they know that kids like fantasy (Harry Potter), so
therefore they need to publish it. But because they don't KNOW fantasy,
they all end up publishing the same, not-terribly-original stuff. Set in
pseudo-Victorian times. With Not-as-Good-as-Dickens character names like
Merriwibble and Hinkywhatsit. Instead of unreal unique different fantasy
like DWJ and Scott Westerfeld and Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier and
Margo Lanagan etc etc.

(ahem, enough ranting)

A fantasy title HAS won more recently - Dragonkeeper by Carole Wilkinson
(who happens to be my mother) won a couple of years ago for the young
readers award. And whilst I hold out no hopes for Monster Blood Tattoo for
that award, I have strong feelings (and whispering birdies) about a certain
fantasy title on the Older Readers Shortlist...

Lili Wilkinson
Inside a Dog Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 8664 7556
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.insideadog.com.au/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             Jon Noble
             <jon_p_noble at yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Diana Wynne Jones discussion
             dwj-bounces at suber         <dwj at suberic.net>
             ic.net                                                     cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/08/2007 07:31          Re: [DWJ] Newly discovered books

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones
                discussion
             <dwj at suberic.net>

I enjoyed the "Uglies" books too, it has been a long time since a YA SF
title has interested me. I think I saw somewhere that he is to write a
fourth book in the series. He is quite popular at school here.
"Monster blood tattoo" is one I realy enjoyed and want more of. It does
seem something of an introduction to series, but a series I want to read
more of. It is on the short list for Children's Book of the Year but I
don't think a fantasy title has actually won since Patricia Wrightson. A
pity as it is the book on the shortlist I enjoyed most (I still have one to
read)

Jon