[DWJ] Newly discovered books

ANDREW BARTON andrew.157barton at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 4 15:46:45 EDT 2007

Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: deborah.dwj at suberic.net
<snip>
  > As a science fiction
reader, I'm used to seeing metaphors or analogies in practically
every text, because most science fiction has that element of
thought experiment in it in some way -- yet at the same time, I
can certainly recognize the difference between a "The Word for
World Is Forest" (Vietnam War bad! Racism bad!) ... <

  That's a curious book.  It contains no human female characters are all.  There is not one reference to an individual woman, they always occur and are referred to in groups.

  I imagine this is a deliberate device to avoid losing the reader's sympathy for the natives in the shock of the ending.

  Andrew