[DWJ] Newly discovered books

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Aug 3 17:57:39 EDT 2007

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember that when I
taught Power of Three I was rather befuddled that all my students
thought I was teaching "a racism book". Which I suppose it is,
and you don't even need to stretch. More than any other DWJ,
Power of Three really is an Issue book. But until my students
interpreted it that way, it honestly never occurred to me to
think of it in such a reductionist viewpoint.

I wondered at the time if it was because I'm a science fiction
reader, and most of them weren't (I know the book is fantasy, but
the way it deals with racism metaphors is something you see more
often in science fiction than fantasy). As a science fiction
reader, I'm used to seeing metaphors or analogies in practically
every text, because most science fiction has that element of
thought experiment in it in some way -- yet at the same time, I
can certainly recognize the difference between a "The Word for
World Is Forest" (Vietnam War bad! Racism bad!) or _1984_
(Communism bad!) and, say, _The Green Book_ (coming-of-age with
environmental message) or _Double Helix_ (thriller that's
absorbed with genetic engineering).

And I clearly put Power of Three in the latter category.

-deborah
--
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what
feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist