[DWJ] Newly discovered books

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Aug 3 13:40:12 EDT 2007

Aimee said...

> Well, I won't be the first one here to have discovered 'Uglies' by  Scott
> Westerfeld. But I've recently read it, and I can't wait for  more! (purse
> strings tie my hands, but soon...)

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who was underwhelmed by this one.

It's not a *bad* book, in any way, but it reminded me very strongly in
places of some the teen sci-fi I read in the 1980s (especially H. M.
Hoover's work), so for me it just didn't have the "freshness" that it seems
to have for a lot of people.

I'm mildly curious to read the rest of the series, but not enough so to
spend money on them.

To keep this on (thread) topic, today I've been reading "Devilish" by
Maureen Johnson (thanks to Hallie lending it to me).  This is a very fun
book.  Light, easy-to-read, but not without a core.

Admittedly, it pushes several of my happy-buttons, including (in the theme
area) saving souls and self-sacrifice, (in setting)
weird-stuff-happening-in-normal-modern-world, and (in characterisation) a
smart misfit-type heroine.  It also has transparent writing, an engaging
narratorial voice, and a very clever get-out-of-jail-free card (which I only
spotted about two seconds before the heroine used it).

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray