[DWJ] Newly discovered books

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Aug 3 08:16:09 EDT 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Aimee Smith wrote:
> I am also wondering why it felt more self-consciously YA than, say, DWJ, and
> whether that reflects the market or the writer or simply the main character's
> POV.

Well, it's a book which deals with Issues (TM), and books about
Issues are much more likely to show up in either YA or science
fiction. The Uglies series has two kinds of issues, even:
sociopolitical issues, which usually show up in science fiction;
and body image issues, which often show up in YA. (ObDisclaimer:
I have nothing against books with Issues, and adore several of
them, including this series. I don't even have anything against
cookie-cutter Problem Novels, as long as they are also well
written.)

DWJ writes far fewer Issue books. In fact, I'm trying to think of
any... A Sudden Wild Magic would be, except that it's also a sex
farce, and it does ultimately blame global warming on parasitic
magic. Lots of her books have young adult character arcs
(youthful protagonist has broken sense of self and isn't fully
integrated into community, adventure happens, protagonist emerges
with a renewed sense of self and fully integrated in his her own
idiosyncratic way into community of choice). I'm thinking of
Sophie and Howard as prime examples.

But maybe when I think of anything which I would call
"self-consciously YA", I don't think of anything comic, and
almost all DWJ is comic.

I'm just pulling all of this out of the air, so people jump on me
if I am wrong.

-deborah
--
What does it matter whether we hang,
If we've learned a little wisdom?	-- _Jade_, Sally Watson