[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Aug 3 08:10:22 EDT 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:
> I, too, felt awfully conflicted about Twilight. I quite literally couldn't
> put it down - was reading and brushing my teeth at the same time. But all
> the while, my brain was screaming out "this is fan-fiction! it's the
> ultimate Mary Sue story! She's a ridiculous heroine, the villain is
> pathetic

*giggle*  I adore fanfiction, and  had that reaction far more
strongly about Twilight than I do about most fan fiction I read.
But then again, most fan fiction I read doesn't have Mary Sues.

> and the protagonist is unconscious for the entire climax!".

And now  I'm suddenly annoyed at Philip Pullman all over again,
even though that's not what we were talking about at all. (Over
the last week or so, for the purposes of a paper I'm writing,
I've been accumulating a list of gender problems in His Dark
Materials and I'm a little overwhelmed about how long it is. But
certainly a heroine who spends half a book on conscious is on the
list.)

> I have come to the conclusion that it was a quite dreadful novel which
> contained some absolutely brilliantly stunningly perfect sexual tension.

It really is perfect, isn't it? And I'm actually glad it will
remain forever tension, not just for reasons mentioned by others,
but simply because Unresolved Sexual Tension is so much more fun
to read. Moonlighting syndrome.

(Actually, in some ways that makes it not fan fiction at all. One
could argue that many of the impulses for fan fiction, especially
when people first come to the genre, are rooted in the pleasure
of reading/watching Unresolved Sexual Tension and wanting to
resolve it -- again and again and again. There's  lots more out
there than that, of course, but the resolution of any kind of
unresolved tension is one of the more common forms of fan
fiction.)

-deborah
--
Always remember to demand more of yourself than anyone else.  Otherwise you
become merely a tiresome rebellious young girl who wants that the whole