[DWJ] Newly discovered books

Aimee Smith aimees001 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 05:24:34 EDT 2007

Well, I won't be the first one here to have discovered 'Uglies' by
Scott Westerfeld. But I've recently read it, and I can't wait for
more! (purse strings tie my hands, but soon...)

I have been wondering whether it was so good more because a) it's
been so long since I actually *read* sci fi; b) cause it was well
written; or c) because it was very clever and intelligent and
believably predicted the future. Or d), which is that I really,
really want a hoverboard! Now!

I am also wondering why it felt more self-consciously YA than, say,
DWJ, and whether that reflects the market or the writer or simply the
main character's POV.

I've also been enjoying (most of) Fire Watch by Connie Willis,
courtesy of sports day at school, toilet guard/boundary duty, a shady
tree or two, with the Doctor Who soundtrack on ipod.

Question: has anyone read Monster Blood Tattoo? Is it worth it? My
school library doesn't have it and it sounded like the author had
really spent time on world building.

Aimee.