[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 3 03:07:34 EDT 2007

I, too, felt awfully conflicted about Twilight. I quite literally couldn't
put it down - was reading and brushing my teeth at the same time. But all
the while, my brain was screaming out "this is fan-fiction! it's the
ultimate Mary Sue story! She's a ridiculous heroine, the villain is
pathetic and the protagonist is unconscious for the entire climax!".

I have come to the conclusion that it was a quite dreadful novel which
contained some absolutely brilliantly stunningly perfect sexual tension.

I also (interestingly) read that the sexual tension will forever remain
tension in the novels (i haven't read New Moon), because the author is a
Mormon and she refused to have any pre-marital sex in her books.

Lili Wilkinson
Inside a Dog Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 8664 7556
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.insideadog.com.au/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             Melissa Proffitt
             <Melissa at Proffitt
             Sent by:                  Diana Wynne Jones discussion
             dwj-bounces at suber         <dwj at suberic.net>
             ic.net                                                     cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/08/2007 04:12          Re: [DWJ] Twilight and New Moon
                                       (Was: Discussing now: What?)

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones
                discussion
             <dwj at suberic.net>

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:02:34 -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>_Twilight_ was my pick for best new novel of whatever year it was

Best FIRST novel.  And it was 2005.  I'm so glad I have a computer to be my
brain in a jar.

Melissa Proffitt