[DWJ] Discussing now: What?

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Aug 1 06:01:51 EDT 2007

Steffi enquired:

> Anyway, Harry Potter 7. Is it being discussed right now? If not, what
> is?

Not that I've noticed!  I've not been following the discussion very
closely, since it is many years since I read the first four books, and
I've not read the later ones at all...

> My current favourite (book, again.) is the Twilight, also it's
> sequels, by Stephenie Meyer. Since last year, I'd been frequently
> posting on the Twilight Lexicon. Sadly, I've been rather busy, so I've
> more or less stopped this fan-forum thing. Which also explains why I
> haven't been replying to the DWJ mailing list. And Eclipse, the
> Twilight-verse third book is coming out in 5 days! Hurray!

Now that sounds a bit more discussable.  I've not heard of these books
or this author.  Who is Meyer?  What sort of books does she write?  Why
do you recommend them?  Can you think of anything to tie them into the
DWJ theme?

My mother recently picked up "Lily Quench and the Dragon of Ashby" by
Natalie Jane Prior, and read it while at the hairdresser.  She then
bought the whole set, and we've been reading them.  I read the first
three almost in one go!

They're children's books (as opposed to young adult, according to the
distinction drawn in the first of Melissa's essays).  NJP doesn't have
many "wow" ideas, but she draws on plenty of sources and writes very
well, so the books are pretty good.  Mama and I both liked the idea of
dragons eating metal, base metals for the staple diet and precious
metals "like chocolate".  I was reminded of "Dragon Reserve, Home Eight"
(obDWJ!), but we are both sure there is another precedent for
metallivorous dragons, which neither of us can remember.

> P.S. Any news about THE HOUSE OF MANY WAYS, yet? I can't believe it'll
> only be out in 2 years time.

You worded that as though you find it hard to believe it will be so
soon.  I take it you really meant you find it hard to believe it will
take so long.  I actually don't believe it will take so long: I'm
guessing some time in 2008.  But I don't have any inside info.

Philip.

PS My mother and I share, as well as a love of dragons, a sensitivity to
the word.  We can home in on a title with the word "dragon" in a large
bookcase full of other books.  Which explains how she found Lily
Quench...
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432