[DWJ] Now a major television series...

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 19:32:33 EDT 2007

>    Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
> ...I must
> admit the thought of Rupert Everett as Chrestomanci
> fills me with glee.  I do, however, have a few small
> reservations; he doesn't seem *quite* right for the
> role; but I can't put my finger on my objections.

I agree about Rupert Everett--almost but not quite
right.  Perhaps it's that faint but ever-present air
of dissipation.  But just a couple of days ago I had a
different casting thought for Chrestomanci.  I've been
watching the '80s television show Remington Steele on
DVD, which stars a very young, pre-Bond Pierce
Brosnan.  He does many things on the show, and one of
them is to look magnificent in all the impeccably
tailored suits that the character wears.  In one
episode he even appears in regal dressing gown, which
is what finally made me think "Chrestomanci!"  Also,
he does a bewildered look quite well.  I'm not totally
satisfied with the idea, though.  For one thing, he's
rather too old and pudgy now for the part, and
blue-eyed with it.  And like Rupert Everett, there's
some sort of flavor that's not quite right.  Smugness,
maybe?

Susanna V.

~~~~~
Let the heart complete the pattern.