[DWJ] Cats - on topic

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Apr 25 16:42:22 EDT 2007

Susanna said...

> Sally Odgers wrote:
>>Are there any cats that are just... cats?
>
> Doesn't Polly's Granny have a cat named Mintchoc?  I don't recall any
> supernatural powers ascribed to Mintchoc...but obviously she's the
> exception among DWJ cats.

*Granny* ascribes supernatural powers to Mintchoc; she says at one point
that Mintchoc is a good judge of people and wouldn't go near Tom Lynn the
first time he came to her house (bringing Polly back after the funeral) but
on a later occasion (when he came to the School Sports) she sat on his knee
(which signified to Granny that he was getting free of Laurel at that
point).

But DWJ says nothing more about Mintchoc's supernatural powers or lack
thereof; the reader is left to decide whether Granny's assertions mean
anything or are just based on her own prejudices.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray