[DWJ] Re: Lurkers on the List

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 24 04:37:39 EDT 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Minnow wrote:

> Melissa modestly disclaimed:
>
> > It was before I sat under a tree and received both Enlightenment
> > and the ineffable quality of being Allways Right.
> >
> > Melissa Proffitt
> > (my kid is studying eastern religions this week and it's sort of
> > rubbing off on us all)
>
> You are Aware-Of-Vacuity, the Great Sage Equal of Heaven, and I
> claim my five pounds!

*hums catchy theme tune*

One of my favourite stories about the Great Sage Equal of Heaven goes
back to the days before he assumed that title, and tells how he
studied for some years under a certain Buddhist patriarch. (It was, in
fact, this teacher who bestowed on him the name Aware-of-Vacuity.)

He was about as dutiful a student as you would expect, knowing what he
was like: he learned many things that interested him, and which stood
him in good stead in later years, but he didn't do so well at the
restraint and discipline side of things.

When the time came for Aware-of-Vacuity to end his time as a student
and return home, he asked what he could do in return for the teaching
he had been given.

"Just one thing," said the great man. "When you get yourself into
serious trouble, as I have no doubt you someday will, if anybody asks
you who your teacher was, *don't tell them it was me*."

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."