[DWJ] Sex/gender (was Any number of threads and... something else....)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Apr 23 10:36:48 EDT 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 1:46 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

> Like it! Having more than one chromosonal sex has got to be a rarity,
> hasn't
> it? But it's good they allowed for the possibility.

Isn't that what "mosaic" is?  My understanding is that mosaic is when
different bits of you have different chromosomal makeup.

And as for rarity, some of these chromosomal makeups are quite
rare.  [Incidentally, XO doesn't mean there's an O chromosome.
It's shorthand for "no partner chromosome" or "zero chromosome",
I guess.  You notice that there's no such thing as YO.  It's not
a viable combination.]  [Quite a few jokes occur to me, but I'm
sure they occur to you as well.]

But lots of people don't realize that there are more than two
choices.

The piece of information that totally floored me was that not
everything works the way we work.

In birds, e.g., the homozygotic sex is male, and the heterozygotic
sex is female.  [I hope I have the correct terms.]  For purposes of
understanding, it's as though the female is xy and male is xx.
But in birds I don't suppose they're called x and y.

Every day brings a chance for you to draw in
a breath, kick off your shoes, and dance.

                                  -- Oprah Winfrey