[DWJ] Sex/gender (was Any number of threads and... something else....)

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 03:33:02 EDT 2007

Charlie wrote:

> I recently had to fill in an official form which included as one of the
> items: 'I would describe my sex as:'. Perhaps they meant gender, in fact?

Well, I'd say so.

> Unfortunately it spoiled the inclusive effect anyway, by offering 'male' and
> 'female' as the only possible answers.

GAH. But I guess what they were trying to do is say that a person's
sex is theirs to define, rather than awaiting determination by medical
examination/random chromosome testing, which is sort of a step in the
right direction. (You could draw their attention to this form:

http://www.kreativekorp.com/miscpages/gender/gender.pl

if you wanted...)

Love, Ika