[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 20, Issue 43

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Apr 22 16:57:05 EDT 2007

 but no
> English word for residents of Amsterdam.

Sally:

Amsterdammer?
Amsterdamite
Amsterdamian
Amsterdame (for a woman...)

Fijian
Hawaiian
Samoan
Transylvanian
Hamburger

In Fiji at the time I lived there (1950s-70s) 'Fijian' was used to refer
to the indigenous peoples who were Fijian by right of descent. People of
European descent who were born in Fiji tended to refer to themselves as
'Kai Viti' which means Fijian anyway but I suppose showed we were not
from the indigenous nation. I don't know how the Fiji Indians and
Chinese referred to themselves. And I don't know if the nomenclature has
changed over the last 30 years.

Regards
Elizabeth.