[DWJ] Sex/gender (was Any number of threads and... something else....)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Apr 21 11:04:46 EDT 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 9:02 PM, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> Maybe because I'm so tired, but I now have this wonderful image
> of characters actually made of language, the metaphor made real,
> ala the Mu Lan myth as I learned it in Kingston's _A Woman
> Warrior_.  Doesn't this happen somewhere in DWJ?  Paper people
> made out of spells, or something like that?  Who go all soft and
> floppy in the rain?
>
> ...No, I'm thinking of something else.  What *is* that?   It
> happens in one of the Edward Eager books, I think.

You're remembering _The Magicians of Caprona_.  When
the families have to pay a formal call on the Duke, the
Montanas use spell-horses, I think.  I forget what the
other family uses.  Anyway, rain is a major problem.

I had a girlfriend who told me she was in the hospital for
female problems. I said, “Get real! What does that mean?”
She says, “You know, female problems.” I said, “What?
You can’t parallel park? You can’t get credit?”

                                        --- Pam Stone