[DWJ] Sex/gender (was Any number of threads and... something else....)

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 00:44:42 EDT 2007

Deborah wrote:

> I love what we've learned from Gender Trouble, and it's a
> groundbreaking and hugely important work, but I find it
> aweinspiring that anyone can find "joyously productive
> deconstruction" in Butler's incredibly dense prose.

I remember reading Butler when I was like 25 and being blown away with
the excitement, and all the conversations with queer friends ('Judith
Butler should be taught in schools! If people had only let me have
this when I was ten, my life would have been *so much better*!') I
mean, I know a lot of people find her prose difficult, but I don't
remember that about reading her, only the joy.

> > ObDWJ: gender is probably talked about more than sex when it comes to
> > fictional characters, too, because fictional characters are made of
> > language, not of biological material, so they don't really have a sex.
>
> Maybe because I'm so tired, but I now have this wonderful image
> of characters actually made of language, the metaphor made real,
> ala the Mu Lan myth as I learned it in Kingston's _A Woman
> Warrior_.  Doesn't this happen somewhere in DWJ?  Paper people
> made out of spells, or something like that?  Who go all soft and
> floppy in the rain?

I don't know the Edward Eager books, but are you partly thinking of
the rubbish monster in *F&H*? Oh, and the paper coachmen in *Magicians
of Caprona*, too.

Love, Ika