[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 20, Issue 43

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Fri Apr 20 09:54:13 EDT 2007

People from the state of Indiana are called Hoosiers, origin unknown (or rather not verified, because there are plenty of stories suggesting its roots), because it's too confusing and tempting to call us Indians.  Indianites and Indianers probably also have the small possibility of being confused with natives of India, although not with Native American tribes.

  Maybe it's just that residents of Indiana are generally not known for being collectively interested in tricky linguistic problems, and Hoosier sounds cool to them.  Myself, I was dismayed to leave Iowa and become a Hoosier, but I have no idea what an Iowa resident is called.  Perhaps just Iowan?

  EGH

Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:

On Apr 20, 2007, at 1:59 AM, Irina Rempt wrote:

> On Friday 20 April 2007, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
>> Amsterdame (for a woman...)
>
> Ooh, I like that!

People from Michigan are referred to collectively
as Michiganders, usually. People who think they are
being too terribly cute call women from Michigan
'Michigeese.'

Of course, there’s no such thing as a totally
objective person, except Almighty God, if
she exists.

-- Antonia Fraser